Tuesday 28 June 2016

Euro 2016 Food Challenge: Wales: Welsh Rarebit


How have I managed to live in Wales for all of my adult life without ever eating Welsh Rarebit?? Oh well, there's a first time for everything. 

There's a recipe on the Slimming World website, but I improvised mine a bit. I used quark to make it extra cheesy - it adds a bit of a sour taste, but I liked it. 

Ingredients

2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf (HEB)
45g reduced fat cheddar (HEA)
1 tsp mustard powder
1 Spring onion, sliced
1 egg yolk
1 heaped tbsp quark

Smoked paprika, black pepper and salad, to serve

In a bowl, mix the cheese, mustard powder, spring onion, egg yolk and quark.

Toast the bread under the grill on one side. Turn over and divide the cheese mix between the two slices. Grill until the cheese is starting to brown.

Season the rarebit with smoked paprika and black pepper. Serve with a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment